Thursday, June 23, 2011

Week 3: More than just wet feet

Hey guys! Already a week has passed since I wrote my last post. I totally can't believe it - time is flying! I think this summer (and my fellowship) will be over before I know it, so I'm going to try and squeeze the guts out of this experience while I have the chance.

So far that mission has been pretty successful. Today I'll give you a little rundown of what I've tackled in the last seven days, and then I have a small favor to ask of you.

Thursday & Friday of last week, I gave the new online directories a little more life. Our community directory is starting to look like a legitimately useful tool! We have more than 60 neighborhood organizations, faith communities, companies and people cataloged after just a week. Who knows how many we'll have in our database by the end of the summer?

The most interesting thing I've encountered in this endeavor is that almost all of the churches in this neighborhood lack even basic internet existence. Take a look at this map: of the 30ish churches and faith centers in our area, only seven have websites! For the others, I walked around and read the church doors to get their information (which is good exercise for me, but bad marketing for them!). I think our neighborhood could stand to take a page from our book. At last count, we have a website, a Facebook page, and at least three blogs - not to mention our developing online directories. That's unique.

The highlight of my week has been meeting with members of St. Cyprian's. I had a piece of Chile Pies' amazing lemon buttercream pie with Michael on Friday; I learned so much about who he is, the incredible life he's lived and his invaluable impact on this church. Every time we talk, I grow more convinced that we're kindred spirits. And after church on Sunday morning, I visited with Norma, who is one of the sassiest ladies I've ever met! She tells the best stories and I laughed with her for half an hour. I have short meetings set with a few other people in the next couple of weeks, and I think Will was right: this is the best possible way to get to know this church.

We've set a date for the Green Turk & Lyon L(a)unch! Mark your calendars: we're planning a party for Saturday, July 23, 2011. Check back here for more details in the next few weeks. (We'll have food, drinks, and door prizes!)

I have other events planned this summer (a table at a couple of different farmers' markets; a conversation with neighborhood parents) but I'll save that information for another post. For now, would you please do me a favor? If you're reading this, we want to know who you are! Post your information in our online church directory or community directory. We really appreciate it, and I promise we won't sell/rent/advertise your information (because goodness knows we get enough junk mail in our own email inboxes - we wouldn't want to make you suffer, too!). Many thanks. Until next time...

- Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment