Thursday, October 20, 2011

Our Seminarian Jack shares his story...

Hello everyone. For my first blog post on the St. Cyprian’s Episcopal Church blog I figured I would announce my presence on the blog, why I will be blogging, and tell you all a little bit about myself.

I’m a third generation, born and raised, San Franciscan who comes from a family of Irish and Guatemalan immigrants. Growing up, mostly, in the fog shrouded southwestern corner of the city called the Sunset District I was raised by my mother, a nurse, and father, a laborer for the San Francisco Parks & Recs Department.

Both of my parents, and both grandfathers, were members of unions and were involved in working class politics and organizing within their respective unions. I myself became a janitor in San Rafael for four years and then began working as a truck loader for UPS where I also became the union representative of my shift back in the Summer of 2007.

I have also been actively organizing in the Filipino American community (of which I grew up on the boarders of in southern San Francisco) for many years now with the US chapter of an alliance called Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (BAYAN) and have been going back and forth between the US and the Philippines for the past three years; organizing with unions, youth and students, and peasant organizations.

For my blog posts, which I will write a couple of times a month, I want to focus on the intersection of community and national politics with theology while also keeping an eye on class analysis and the way theological reflection can help shape, and better, the struggle for the betterment of the working class in the US and abroad.

I look forward to my time at St. Cyprian’s and to future blog posts and would love to get some feedback from any of my readers. See you soon (on the Web).

No comments:

Post a Comment