Thursday, January 12, 2012

Lord, you knew me when


This is one of my favourite psalms. It is in the readings of Sunday , 15 January.

Lord, you have searched me out and known me; *

you know my sitting down and my rising up;

you discern my thoughts from afar.

You trace my journeys and my resting-places *

and are acquainted with all my ways.

For you created my inmost parts;

You knit me together in my mother's womb.

I will thank you because I am marvelously made; *

your works are wonderful, and I know it well.

(psalm 139 1-2, 12-13)

This speaks so deeply to our identity of who we are and where we find our joy. Once in the midst of a difficult job search I was told to 'follow my bliss' and the right job would come. I thought I was following my bliss, and nothing turned up.

I hadn't realized what I needed was to let go first, then follow my bliss. I needed to let go. Let go of what I held tightly and let God come in. Make room for grace / bliss in my life.

Release, reflect, renew our lives and open up to God's love.

God knew us from before we were born and knows us now. I offer my New Year's resolution: consider making time this year to let go of what we hold on tight, and open our heart to let God's ever present grace guide us to joy.


Taking a walk for justice

Monday is the Martin Luther King, Jr, holiday. It's a ski weekend, a sale weekend, a three day weekend holiday and lots of other things like all Federal holidays. It's a serious holiday for me: I used to live in New Hampshire which did not recognize the holiday until 1991 as 'Civil Rights Day' and 1999 as 'Martin Luther King, Jr' day; I once worked for a company that never recognized it as a Federal holiday well into the 2000's when I left. My parents, who lived in New Hampshire, worked hard to get their State Assembly to recognize MLK, Jr Day. When I moved to San Francisco in the early 90's I walked in the NorCal MLK march, right on Market Street, pushing our son in his carriage, then carrying him on my shoulders, then coaxing him on foot when he was too big to carry. It was important to remember the holiday but also Why we have this day. This day to remember the service of an ordinary man called to extraordinary acts, a man who accepted his call as a leader of the Civil Rights Movement.

Take your evil deeds out of my sight; stop doing wrong. Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.” (Isaiah 1:16-17)

Will you strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being?

I will, with God's help.” (Baptismal Covnenant, Book of Common Prayer, p 305)

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.” MLK Jr

Join St Cyprian's and the Union of Black Episcopalians on 11 am Monday, at CalTrain San Francisco. We'll march with our sisters and brothers from across the Bay Area celebrating the life and work of the Rev Dr Martin Luther King, Jr. Our route travels up 3rd Street past AT&T Park to Yerba Buena Center Gardens. It's a couple of hours out of our holiday, but two hours worth remembering and celebrating the people who did the right thing, the unpopular thing and continue the cause of peace and justice in our world.

For more information about Monday's MLK Jr day events check out the web: norcalmlk.com or contact eric_metoyer AT mac.com.

see you on the corner of turk and lyon - eric

No comments:

Post a Comment