Thursday, March 1, 2012

ashes part 2

our witness to the world

Let me be very very clear, I am not risking our 501c3 status on this election cycle supporting a party. Let me be also clear that the example of Jesus remains the same over two thousand years: the Son of Man who dined with tax collectors, social outcasts, healed the sick, and preached that the love of God was available to everyone, every - one of us, has a message valid then and equally valid now.

With a son's great pride I link this blog piece:

http://www.barackobama.com/news/entry/liking-what-she-never-thought-shed-see

The writer tells the story of my mother' Marie's work for their campaign as a continuation of her work in human rights. It doesn't mention her service to the state of New Hampshire nor her receipt of the Martin Luther King Jr Civil Rights award (note my mother is a truly humble woman and you'd not hear her mention these accolades).

What strikes me most about this photo is the cross on her forehead – faint, but visible. A good churchwoman, I know she attended Mass early that morning for the imposition of ashes and she wore those ashes throughout the day. Those ashes formed in the cross that is the symbol of belief in Jesus born, crucified and risen; those ashes that are the reminder of our own life and death is in the service of God, the cross of ashes the external sign of our inner grace received from God.

I write this epistle from day one of the annual meeting of the Episcopal Urban Caucus, the gathering of the reconciliation, social justice and peace ministry workers of the Church. We are in Atlanta, where 1960's Episcopalians picketed the Episcopal Cathedral and School because of their segregationist practices, a city where the Episcopal Diocese today supports incredibly active social justice ministries in undeserved and poor neighborhoods and fights for the voiceless to have a seat at the table of redevelopment. We visited Emmaus House in Peopletown, where anyone can walk off the street, without appointment, and get help connecting with social services, and Holy Comforter which for decades has been a haven for the mentally ill.

This morning a panel of civil rights workers from the 1960's and reconciliation justice workers of this decade discussed their experiences of what it meant to fight for civil rights / human rights then and now. I heard brothers and sisters describe being arrested trying to register voters in the early 60's and others the challenges of working in prisons and continuing human rights work in the inner cities Two quotes I heard:


I am demonstrating for justice now so my country's ways won't change me later.

and

Ignorance is the best indicator of original sin.


The prophet Isiah warns Israel to 'cease to do evil; learn to do well, seek justice, relieve the oppressed'. In Mark's Gospel Jesus tells his disciples: If you want to be my followers let them deny themselves, , take up the Cross and follow me'

I think of these faithful Christians in Atlanta sharing their stories fighting for justice in the name of God. I think of the ashes on mother's forehead in this photograph, symbol of her faithful witness whilst working to change the world. God's love is for all of us, and oppression is not tolerated. I think of the ashes on our foreheads last week, long faded now, which remind us to take up the Cross and work for justice, building the Kingdom of God in our world.

If you have ideas about outreach to change the world, talk to me, I want to hear them: and then, let's get to work. Here, at Turk and Lyon - and beyond.

See you at the corner --- from Atlanta --- peace, eric

No comments:

Post a Comment