Thursday, July 14, 2011

Happy Thursday from the summer intern!
It's been a good week 'round these parts.
*
Like I said at the end of my last post, I had the good fortune of mixing work with pleasure last week: three other Beatitudes fellows, my fiance and I took in a Giants game at AT&T Park. It was a blast! I'm so lucky that I was granted this fellowship, in part because of the other rad fellows here in the Bay Area. And while it's definitely as cold as they say it is, I think AT&T Park might actually have a better view than my hometown team's Coors Field in Denver...
*
Sunday morning was AWESOME. I skipped church (under the direction of Father Will) to hit up the NOPA Little Ones meeting at Alamo Square Park. There I met Jocelyn Herndon, a parent and member of the group's planning committee. We talked for almost an hour about NOPA Little Ones, St. Cyprian's, the neighborhood, and how we can all work together to make this a better place. (It sounds so cliche, but it's true!) A couple of interesting things about their group:
- they have a grant through the California First 5 initiative
- they typically have 15-20 families show up for each play group (and about a million kiddos)
- they want to be more involved with other organizations in the neighborhood, too!
I asked about a way that St. Cyprian's could provide immediate assistance for NOPA Little Ones, and Jocelyn had a quick response: loan them one or two of our extra coffee carafes on the mornings they have their meetings (just one Sunday a month). They want to be more environmentally sustainable, and using a borrowed carafe instead of the cardboard carriers they buy from Peet's is one way to make that happen. So, St. Cyprian's: what do we think? Can we do this?
*
Not to beat a dead horse, but...
The Green Turk & Lyon L(a)unch is approaching!!
I'm so excited for this. We have TONS of door prizes to give away, we have HEAPS of delicious food and beverages to share, and we have a LOT of neighbors collaborating or volunteering to help out! The Wigg Party is getting a jam band together and sourcing a truckload of vegetables from the Hayes Valley Farm for the meal. Yerba Buena Community Acupuncture donated some free treatments as door prizes. I'm going to be cooking up a storm next week, and Will has offered to make dessert. Save the date, because this is something you won't want to miss!
*
This Sunday we're celebrating Mary Magdalene in church, and my friend and fellow Beatitudes Society intern Sarah Thompson is preaching! She's working with Pace e Bene this summer in Oakland, and she's a really interesting person. I'm sure she'll have a great message for us.
*
One last quick note: every week at the beginning of our Beatitudes Society fellows meeting, one person leads the group in a centering prayer, and this week, I'm up. Does anyone have a beloved prayer, poem, or story that I could share with my fellow fellows?

No comments:

Post a Comment