Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A photo blitz!

Hey St. Cyprian's!
I've been trying to craft this blog post for almost 24 hours, and it's not coming together so easily. I have a bunch of random thoughts & pictures, so instead of quilting them together, Ima just throw them at you. Here goes.
*
My desk at St. Cyprian's looks out over the tops of blocks' worth of buildings, trees, windows and a few flags. It's a really cool view, and I used my phone to text a picture of it to my mom on my first day of work.
I especially like those trees across the way in Buena Vista park. They're huge! Trees like that don't grow in Colorado. And for that matter, I can't think of a place this hilly (or this urban!) in Fort Collins, where I grew up; maybe that's why I wanted to share it with Mom. It's unlike anything I've ever seen. San Francisco is rad.
*
A word about the Brahma Kumaris Global Change event last Thursday:
I took two of my Beatitudes Society friends: Sara, who works for Interfaith Power & Light, and Dan, who's at the Ignatian Solidarity Network. It was reeeeeally interesting, and I think my friends' comments sum it up:
Sara: "Unsure of what to make of the disengaged-white-light-self-peacehood-within-LA-yoganaught-joy, they all went out to dinner to enjoy the honest lovely messiness that is Life at its finest...though they did greatly appreciate the free homemade cookies, almonds, and apricots.
Dan: "I had the church giggles the whole time."
*
My friend Duncan sent me the first draft of the poster for the Green Turk & Lyon L(a)unch!
I think it looks SO COOL! Planning for the event is coming along swimmingly, which brings me to another bullet and more pictures...
*
Have you heard of Pinterest? It's my favorite gift from the internets. It's a website where you can build - or look at other people's - online bulletin boards, which are organized by purpose or color or event. (For example: I have boards full of recipes, pictures of places and people, even "Good things to hang on to".) Anyway, I used it as a research tool last week to find some green foods and kids activities for the event. Here's a little sample of what I found...

Bite-sized caprese salads
Double-tomato crostini
Inside out carrot cake cupcakes
Homemade bubbles
Sidewalk chalk paint
What did people DO before the internet existed?? How did any questions ever get answered?
(Oh, and if you like Pinterest, leave your email address as a comment below & I'll happily send you an invite.)
*
Tonight, all of the Beatitudes Society fellows are going to the Giants game after our weekly meeting; hopefully we'll get a group photo and I can show you the people I'm lucky to work with this summer. I'll be honest, though: I'm wearing purple in support of my Colorado Rockies (even though they're playing the Braves today). I could NEVER cheer for the Giants! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment