Friday, December 2, 2011

a cheerful giver

Why I Give
by Robyn Amos




As I prepared to speak about stewardship this passage from 2 Corinthians resonated when I heard it read at the recent Deanery Meeting. “ He who sows sparingly will reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. You will be enriched in every way for great generosity which through us will produce thanksgiving to God...Each one must do as he has made up his mind… for God loves a cheerful giver.”

I chuckled to myself as I reflected on the words oft heard “God loves a cheerful giver.” I knew I was not always this person. I considered how weak economy, the soaring inflation and the feelings of despair have made parsimony the new generosity. How many times have I chanted the current mantra “the cost of food is so high;” “there are no jobs for mature workers;” “just trying to hold my head above water;” “Give? Are you serious? ”

Yet, I instantly thought about my community at St. Cyprian’s and the truth of the scripture was clear. I thought of the dozens of members, neighbors, friends old and new that have been stewards of the community these last few years. I remembered the feel of the dirt in my hands and the stretching muscles in my back as Lyon and Turk were beautified with plants. The pungent smell of fresh paint assailed my nose when I entered church after the Gays for Good painted. My taste buds tingled for days the epic meal grown, prepared and consumed by our friends and family at the Community Meal just three weeks ago. Those were real-time experiences of cheerful giving.

St. Cyprian’s embodies those words. St. Cyprian’s has become a place of hope and possibilities as we have opened our door to our community and responded. We have become not only cheerful givers but gracious receivers. Our doors open wide as the community flows in with paint, mushrooms, bluegrass music, plants and joy. Giving includes sharing all of your wealth including your time, talents, songs, and strengths.

I give because I love my church and love our flourishing community. The scripture is clear, the evidence is apparent; Generosity is not just in dollars but in heart and mind. I give so that my church is served whether I am present or not. I give because others have and still do. I share whatever I resources I have: time, ideas, dollars, or elbow grease. Consider your own talents and means. Become as I have a cheerful giver.

No comments:

Post a Comment