Thursday, December 8, 2011

An Ordination

‘As deacon in the church, you are to study the Holy Scriptures, to seek nourishment from them, and to model your life upon them. You are to make Christ and his redemptive love known, by your word and example, to those among whom you live, and work, and worship. You are to interpret to the Church the needs, concerns, and hopes of the world… At all times, your life and teaching are to show Christ’s people that in serving the helpless they are serving Christ himself.’ Ordination of a Deacon, Book of Common Prayer page 543.

This past Saturday, sometime soon after two p.m., I stood with five other soon to be deacons and listened to our ordinal, the examination of the candidates. I have read through the ordinal many, many times before then and told myself ‘yes I agree, yes, maybe, hmm, let me get back to you on that.’ And yet… when Bishop Marc Andrus read those words, in micro seconds I heard them, thought about them, prayed over them and answered ‘Yes!’ As I knelt before him, he placed his hands on my head I felt the warmth and the breath of the generations of saints who preceded me answering the call to serve God’s people. Like John Wesley at his conversion, my heart was ‘strangely warmed’ at that moment, and I knew all was right.

As Deacon I’ll continue doing the work of the Church, talking to people at Half-Time, at Lucky and on Divisidero Street, making connections, listening to stories and building community inside and outside the walls of St Cyprian’s. There is much work to continue, with the kitchen, community center, greening the corner. My thanks, thanks, thanks to the Cyprian’s community for supporting me and making me so welcome, I am blessed to serve here

Speaking about building community: our NOPA neighborhood holiday party is Friday, come on by and share some holiday cheer AND listen to music galore! On December 17 Nutcracker for Two Guitars is another concert for the Advent season. Of course Christmas is coming, be a participant also for our Christmas Pageant 5pm December 23 (no rehearsal, just show up!) and our Christmas services December 24, 8pm and December 25, 10.10am.

Come on down to Turk and Lyon, we’re happening this month. Come feel the warmth.

Peace to all,

- eric

No comments:

Post a Comment